Today some different ways to clean your teeth
Disclaimer — this post is not intended for medicinal purposes. I do not make any medical claims nor do I provide advise. I provide information about what I have found and do, you are advised to do your own research and make your own educated choices.
Warning! — This post may contain links to Amazon products for which I may (or may not) receive some recompense. Thank you for your support.
Paste-style tooth cleanser is only one way to clean teeth (not to include flossing — that would be another post, I think). Some advocate using chewed up sticks.
Homemade Tooth Powder Recipe — from MommyPotamus
Note: Feel free to add or adjust ingredients based on your needs. For example, if you have very sensitive teeth you might want to skip the baking soda and salt at first, or if you want to focus on removing stains add a little more activated charcoal to the homemade tooth powder recipe.
- 4 tablespoons bentonite clay (You don’t need an expensive brand – something like this will work well)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons finely ground unrefined sea salt
- ½ teaspoons clove powder (where to buy organic clove powder)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (where to buy organic cinnamon)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground peppermint leaves, spearmint leaves or 5-10 drops peppermint essential oil (where to buy spearmint oil or peppermint essential oil)*
- 1 ½ teaspoons unrefined stevia powder – optional (find it here)
- ¾ teaspoons activated charcoal – optional about 4 capsules of this brand
- If you don’t have peppermint leaves, just grind some peppermint tea in a coffee grinder. Voila!
Using a stainless steel or plastic spoon, mix all ingredients in a clean glass jar. To use, add a little to a wet toothbrush and brush as normal.
From the Food Renegade: — HOMEMADE TOOTHPASTE RECIPE: THE PLAYERS
product links are my amazon affiliate links
- 1/2 c. bentonite clay (where to buy bentonite clay powder)
- 3 Tbsp. xylitol powder (where to buy xylitol)
- 4 Tbsp. coconut oil, warmed to liquid
- 20 drops cinnamon essential oil
- 20 drops clove essential oil
- 30 drops Concentrace trace minerals (where to buy trace mineral drops)
- 3 Tbsp. water (possibly more)
HOMEMADE TOOTHPASTE RECIPE: THE HOW-TO
Thankfully, I have a stainless steel blade on my food processor, so I have no qualms using my food processor to make this homemade toothpaste recipe.
Bentonite clay can act like a magnet attracting positively charged heavy metals from your utensils, so you only want it to come into contact with a truly stable metal like stainless steel (which is used to mine the clay).
- Place all dry ingredients in the food processor and pulse until well mixed.
- In a liquid measuring cup, mix coconut oil, essential oils, trace minerals, and water.
- Slowly pour the liquids into your food processor while continuing to pulse. Mix until smooth; add more water if necessary to reach desired consistency.
- Remove homemade toothpaste from food processor and store in a glass jar with a lid. This keeps rather well in a medicine cabinet, although with time the exposure to air may dry it out. If it starts drying out before you’ve had the chance to use it, just mix in a bit more water.
DO YOU LOVE THE “FOAMY FACTOR” OF TOOTHPASTE . . . From MommyPotamus
But not the chemicals used to achieve it? This recipe is for you!
Just make sure to rinse your mouth thoroughly after brushing. It’s soap, so the aftertaste will remind you a lot of . . . soap. (And if that doesn’t sound good to you, try tooth powder. My kids think it so delicious they sometimes refuse to spit after brushing. It’s all food grade, so I’m okay with that.)
HOMEMADE TOOTH SUDS RECIPE
- 6 tablespoons castile soap
- 3 droppers full stevia extract
- 15-20 drops peppermint or spearmint essential oil
- Add everything to a 4 ounce dropper bottle and shake thoroughly to mix. Apply a few drops to your toothbrush and brush as normal.
I include Amazon affiliate links, thank you for your support
ADULT TOOTHPASTE FLAVORS
- Peppermint (the classic) – 40 drops peppermint oil.
- Cinnamint – 30 drops peppermint, 10 drops cinnamon leaf essential oil
- Spearmint – 40 drops spearmint essential oil
- Sweet oranges – 25 drops sweet orange essential oil
- Grapefruit – 25 drops grapefruit essential oil
- Citrus whitening – 10 drops lemon essential oil, 20 drops sweet orange essential oil
- Fresh Mint- 20 drops peppermint, 20 drops spearmint essential oil
KID’S TOOTHPASTE FLAVORS (OR ADULTS….I LIKE THEM TOO!!!)
- Strawberry – 30 drops strawberry flavor extract
- Peach Mango – 20 drops mango flavor extract , 10 drops peach flavor extract
- Berry Berry – 10 drops raspberry flavor extract, 10 drops blueberry flavor extract, 10 drops strawberry flavor extract
- Tropical Delight – 20 drops pineapple flavor extract, 10 drops mango flavor extract
- Chocolate – 30 drops dark chocolate flavor extract
- Orange Creamsicle – 20 orange flavor extract, 10 drops vanilla flavor extract
- Watermelon – 30 drops watermelon flavor extract
- Mint – 30 drops mint flavor extract
- Burns DDS — https://www.burnsddsnc.com/2014/08/25/is-brushing-teeth-with-baking-soda-safe/
- The Things We’ll Make. Tracy Ariza, copyright 2013-2017
- Nature’s Nurture Blog; Sarah. Copyright 2018 Nature’s Nurture
- Sarah includes links to over a dozen toothpaste recipes. You are sure to find one you like.
- How Tooth Whitening Works, by Dr Jerry Gordon. HowStuffWorks Copyright 2018.
- The Hippy Homemaker, has recipes for flavours
- An Ordinary Housewife, copyright 2018
- Thank Your Body is one small voice against chronic use of Baking Soda for much the same reasons I have
- Mommypotamus has recipes for Tooth Suds, Mouthwash, Tooth Powder
- Collective Evolution has an interesting article about the abrasiveness of different items, including that commercial toothpaste I just ran out of.
- Food Renegade 2018
- Stevia is Ragweed https://www.rxlist.com/stevia/supplements.htm
- Erythritol dental properties https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5011233/
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate http://naturesnurtureblog.com/natural-homemade-toothpaste-recipes/
- Artista Blogspot http://artistta.blogspot.ca/2011/04/closer-look-at-glyerin-and-whether-its.html
- Nature’s Nurture Blog http://naturesnurtureblog.com/natural-homemade-toothpaste-recipes/
- Food Renegade — https://www.foodrenegade.com/homemade-toothepaste-recipe-remineralizing/
- Weed ‘Em and Reap — https://www.weedemandreap.com/diy-toothpaste-recipe/
- Authority Dental — https://www.authoritydental.org/homemade-toothpaste